Alert! This is a topical news article dated more than two years ago.
How can you leverage emerging knowledge about social networking? Here are some suggestions:
- Use social sites for screening applicants
- Use social sites for alumni (Hill and Knowlton and Siemens did this instead of creating their own internal alumni databases)
- Use social sites for recruitment (Ernst & Young does this to stay in touch with thousands of young recruits)
- Keep an eye on your brand on social media â€“ deep web search (several Firms have been hit by this – there is also an opportunity for law firms here to help protect clients)
- Look for internal opportunities to use social media (start small) – inside (intranets) and with clients (extranets)
- Consider (seriously) social tagging of internal resources
- Map your social networks / understand them (Hill and Knowlton, various accounting and consulting firms have done this with surprising results)
- Consider networking as a framework for: Expertise location; Knowledge location; Learning; Mentoring; Etc.
- Use social network analysis as a tool for accelerating integration post merger / acquisition
- Use social network analysis to look for opportunities outside of the organization – some firms are mining patent filings and research publications to map opportunities for partnerships and acquisitions.